Columbian Mutual Life, the parent company of the Columbian Financial Group of companies, has established a 138-year heritage of growth, financial stability and strength. Columbian Life has become an integral partner in our goals of always putting clients first and keeping pace with change.
History is an important factor in choosing a reliable insurer, and you have over a century of experience behind you when you choose Columbian:
- 1882 - Columbian Mutual Life Insurance Company is incorporated as the American Protective Association in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1907 - Name changes to Columbian Protective Association and the Home Office is moved to Binghamton, New York.
- 1952 - Columbian Protective is mutualized and renamed Columbian Mutual Life Insurance Company.
- 1970 to 1990 - Columbian Mutual Life expands to 50 states.
- 1990 to 1996 - Columbian grows through establishing Columbian Life Insurance Company as a wholly owned stock life insurance company domiciled in Illinois, acquiring Washington National Life Insurance Company of New York (WNLICNY), and establishing a wholly owned marketing/sales subsidiary, Golden Eagle Sales Corp.
- 1997 - Columbian expands its product line to include Worksite Marketing.
- 2001 - Columbian Life expands its business to 45 states.
- 2002 - Golden Eagle Sales Corp. is renamed New Vision Service Corporation of New York.
- 2003 - Columbian acquires UNIQ benefit solutions® and establishes an administrative service office in Atlanta, GA.
- 2006 - Columbian expands through a merger, with Philanthropic Mutual Life Insurance Company becoming part of Columbian Mutual Life. As part of the merger, Columbian gains a new stock subsidiary, National Safety Life Insurance Company.
- 2007 - Columbian Mutual celebrates its 125th year of business and doubles its size by merging another mutual insurer, Farmers and Traders Life Insurance Company, into Columbian Mutual Life. The combined organization has assets in excess of $1 billion and a strong surplus position which exceeds $70 million.
- 2008 - Mutual of Detroit becomes part of the Columbian Financial Group of companies through a merger with the parent company Columbian Mutual Life.
- 2011 - Columbian expands through a merger of Unity Mutual Life Insurance Company into Columbian Mutual Life. The combined organization has over $1.4 billion in assets and over $100 million in capital and surplus.
Throughout our history, we have consistently maintained an exceptionally strong investment portfolio, providing us with financial strength and the ability to meet policyholder obligations.
Columbian's mission is to earn your trust as the insurance company with a strong past - for your secure future.