Major Function: This position is responsible for the oversight of the Underwriting and New Business functions for Columbian Financial Group, which primarily issues simplified issue products. Responsible for providing efficient and accurate risk selection to applicants, insureds, sales force and Home Office personnel so that the objectives set forth by senior management are attained. Also works with other members of the leadership team to develop strategic solutions to support managing profitable growth and marketing efforts.
- Directs all underwriting for Columbian Financial Group in accordance with corporate objectives and in compliance with Federal and State Insurance Department regulations and legislation.
- Research and support underwriting strategies allowing Columbian to remain competitive and leading-edge as it relates to underwriting and new business processes. This involves conducting research relative to underwriting practices of major competitors, research of new tools available in the market place and ultimately support of implementation of any changes.
- Develops and recommends policies and practices relative to the underwriting of policies for Columbian Financial Group for all products and markets.
- Evaluates larger and more complex life insurance applications for face amounts through $500,000 for Columbian Financial Group including working with reinsurers whenever necessary.
- Builds and maintains relationships with distribution partners through office visits, sales meetings and presentations. Assists the agents in the understanding and selling of CFG products and provides underwriting assistance to the field as needed.
- Be an active member of product development teams, working closely with Marketing and the Actuarial Departments. This includes designing of applications which support Columbian’s profitability requirements.
- Responsible for the Underwriting budget. Meets with outside vendors regarding underwriting costs and requirements and makes decisions regarding what vendors we will contract with.
- Review all contestable claims and recommends a course of underwriting and claim action.
- Conducts periodic reviews of files to assure compliance with all MIB rules and regulations and is responsible for the MIB annual audit.
- Completes special projects as assigned including quarterly agent audits and review of the PHI quarterly report. Prepares various management reports as needed.
- Consults with Medical Director when necessary relative to complex medical underwriting issues.
- 4 year college degree or equivalency strongly preferred; equivalent work experience may substitute
- 10 years of life underwriting experience
- 5+ years of managerial experience
- Experience in developing and executing underwriting strategy, including automation
- Knowledge of reinsurance practices and operations, product and compliance underwriting issues
- Strong presentation skills
Drug Free Workplace