Major Function: Has the authority to make underwriting decisions for all lines of business for face amounts of up to $500,000. This decision is based upon the review of applicant data, supporting medical information (to include attending physician statements, exams, blood profiles, specimens, IntelliScript, MVR’s and telephone interviews) actuarial mortality tables and company guidelines. Provides underwriting assistance for team members and reviews the underwriting decisions made by Junior and Jet Underwriters.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Requires judgment and discretion in reviewing applications for age of applicant and amount of policy and classifying applications for insurance risk up to $500,000, sole approval limits. Reviews risks up to $1,000,000 with second approval and review from Second Vice President Underwriting.
- Determines the medical requirements needed and requests reports and medical requirements from attending physician(s), hospitals, labs and paramedical companies.
- Reviews and evaluates medical reports, blood tests, prescription database, health impairments, telephone interviews, MVR’s, non-medical applications, MIB’s, and health status of applicants to determine their impact on the insurance risk.
- Determines if the insured will be offered a standard or substandard premium rate. Is proficient in understanding the company’s products, markets and sales goals.
- Assists the agents in understanding and selling CFG’s products. Interacts and communicates with RSD’s and reinsurers.
- Provides constant communication with the field force by supplying telephone quotes, status, policy product information and answering all medical questions relating to underwriting and new business matters.
- Responsible for establishing, maintaining, communicating and monitoring all Columbian Life Insurance products to ensure those customers’ needs are met.
- 5+ years underwriting experience
- College degree or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven track record in applying sound documented risk classification while maintaining good relationships with the field and sales & marketing personnel.
- Willing to work evenings periodically, to provide phone coverage for risk assessments, which can be done remotely.
Drug Free Workplace